Your privacy is critically important to us. At Borrow Modern, we have a few fundamental principles:
- We are thoughtful about the personal information we ask you to provide and the personal information that we collect about you through the operation of our services.
- We store personal information for only as long as we have a reason to keep it.
- We help protect you from overreaching government demands for your personal information.
- We aim for full transparency on how we gather, use, and share your personal information.
Hello! We are the folks behind Borrow Modern. A platform designed to foster a marketplace for rentals. Our mission is to open opportunities for anyone to rent nearly anything using the simplest means possible. We believe in powering a one-stop shop of rentals, conveniently available from your mobile iOS device.
- Our websites (borrowmodern.com); and
- Our mobile applications (the Borrow Modern app for iOS);
Below we explain how we collect, use, and share information about you, along with the choices that you have with respect to that information.
We only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so–for example, to provide our Services, to communicate with you, or to make our Services better.
We collect information in three ways: if and when you provide information to us, automatically through operating our services, and from outside sources. Let’s go over the information that we collect.
It’s probably no surprise that we collect information that you provide to us. The amount and type of information depends on the context and how we use the information. Here are some examples:
- Basic Account Information: We ask for basic information from you in order to set up your account. For example, we require individuals who sign up for a Borrow Modern account (either through borrowmodern.com or through the Borrow Modern iOS App) to provide a username, password, mobile number, birthdate, first and last name, profile picture, and email address.
- Basic Account Information For Lender: We ask for basic information from you in order to set up your account as a lender. For example, we require individuals who sign up for a Borrow Modern account as a Lender (either through borrowmodern.com or through the Borrow Modern iOS App) to provide a username, password, mobile number, birthdate, first and last name, home address, profile picture and email address.
- Transaction and Billing Information: If you buy something from us such as reserving a reservation, you will provide additional personal and payment information that is required to process the transaction and your payment, such as your credit card information, and contact information.
- Payout Information For Lenders: If you sign up to become a Lender, you will provide additional personal and banking information that is required to process payouts to you, such as you bank account number, bank routing number, first and last name on the bank account, the address associated with your bank account, a photo of a government ID. If deemed necessary, we may also require the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number or your full Social Security Number.
- Content Information: Depending on the Services you use, you may also provide us with information about you in the summary section for an item listing or shop listing. For example, if you include details about yourselves when describing an rental item or shop, these details are stored and will be visible to anyone viewing you listing.
- Communications with Us (Hi There!): You may also provide us information when you respond to surveys, communicate with us through email, provide feedback, respond to a support question, or submit a question from the Contact Us section on our website.
We also collect some information automatically:
- Log Information: Like most online service providers, we collect information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, IP address, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information. We collect log information when you use our Services.
- Usage Information: We collect information about your usage of our Services. For example, we collect information about the actions that your take on our site or mobile app–in other words, who did what, when and to what thing on a site or mobile app. We also collect information about your device (e.g., mobile screen size, name of cellular network, device UUID, and mobile device manufacturer). We use this information to, for example, provide our Services to you, as well as get insights on how people use our Services, so we can make our Services better.
- Location Information: We may determine the approximate location of your device from your IP address. We collect and use this information to, for example, calculate how many people visit our Services from certain geographic regions. We may also collect information about your precise location via our mobile apps (when, for example, you search for rentals in a certain location) if you allow us to do so through your mobile device operating system’s permissions. We also collect location data when you provide your address in the “edit profile” section, or when adding a rental listing.
- Stored Information: We may access information stored on your mobile device via our mobile app. We access this stored information through your device operating system’s permissions. For example, if you give us permission to access the photographs on your mobile device’s camera roll, our Services may access the photos stored on your device when you upload a really amazing photograph of your rental or shop to the app.
- Invite Information: If a user decides to invite another user to try the app, or if a lender who is also a rental property host invites a guest, we will collect the invited users email as a means to direct them easily to the app or to view the hosts rentals shop.
We may also get information about you from other sources. For example, if you create or log into your Borrow Modern account through another service (like Facebook), we will receive information from that service (such as your username, and basic profile information) via the authorization procedures used by that service. The information we receive depends on which services you authorize and any options that are available.
We may also get information from third party services about individuals who are not yet our users (…but we hope will be!), which we may use, for example, for marketing and advertising purposes.
We use information about you as mentioned above and as follows:
- To provide our Services–for example, to set up and maintain your account, list your rentals on the app, charge you for any of our paid Services, or pay you when you earn money as a Lender;
- To further develop our Services–for example by adding new features that we think our users will enjoy, or make it easier to users to interact in our rental marketplace;
- To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with our Services, which helps us improve our Services and make them easier to use;
- To monitor and protect the security of our Services, detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities, fight spam, and protect the rights and property of Borrow Modern and others;
- To communicate with you about offers and promotions offered by Borrow Modern and others we think will be of interest to you, solicit your feedback, or keep you up to date on Borrow Modern and our products; and
- To personalize your experience using our Services.
We do not sell our users’ private personal information.
We share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
- Third Party Vendors: We may share information about you with third party vendors who need to know information about you in order to provide their services to us. This group includes vendors that help us provide our Services to you (like payment providers that process your credit and debit card information or details required by third party vendors to process payouts, such as government ID photos or bank details) and those that help us understand and enhance our Services (like analytics providers).
- As Required by Law: We may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request.
- To Protect Rights and Property: We may disclose information about you when we believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of Borrow Modern, third parties, or the public at large. For example, if we have a good faith belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury, we may disclose information related to the emergency without delay.
- With Your Consent: We may share and disclose information with your consent or at your direction. For example, we may share your information with third parties with which you authorize us to do so.
- Aggregated and De-Identified Information: We may share information that has been aggregated or reasonably de-identified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify you. For instance, we may publish aggregate statistics about the use of our Services.
- Published Support Requests: And if you send us a request (for example, via a support email or one of our feedback mechanisms), we reserve the right to publish that request in order to help us clarify or respond to your request or to help us support other users.
Information that you choose to make public is–you guessed it–disclosed publicly. That means, of course, that information like your public profile, rental requests (when sending a post requesting one or more items you would like to rent), messages sent by you to a renter or lender using our chat feature, feedback provided by you regarding a reservation, and other content that you make public on our app or website, are available to others!
While no mobile app or online service is 100% secure, we work very hard to protect information about you against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction, and take reasonable measures to do so.
You have several choices available when it comes to information about you:
- Limit the Information that You Provide: If you have an account with us, you can choose not to provide the optional account information, profile information, and transaction and billing information. Please keep in mind that if you do not provide this information, certain features of our Services may not be accessible.
- Limit Access to Information On Your Mobile Device: Your mobile device operating system should provide you with the ability to discontinue our ability to collect stored information or location information via our mobile apps. If you do so, you may not be able to use certain features (like setting a location when searching for rentals).
- Opt-Out of Electronic Communications: You may opt out of receiving promotional messages from us. Just follow the instructions in those messages. If you opt out of promotional messages, we may still send you other messages, like those about your account and legal notices.
- Set Your Browser to Reject Cookies: At this time, Borrow Modern does not respond to “do not track” signals across all of our Services. However, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies before using Borrow Modern’s website, with the drawback that certain features of Borrow Modern’s website may not function properly without the aid of cookies.
Borrow Modern is a nation wide service. By accessing or using the Services or otherwise providing information to us, you consent to the processing, transfer, and storage of information in and to the U.S. and other countries, which may have rights and protections that are different from those in your home country.
Still need help?
We are working 24/7 to assist you with any problems or questions you may have.